I am terrified and excited about the future of our family. We wrestle with this decision on a weekly basis... Stay in France? Return to the USA? Our commitment here is for 2 years and the first year has flown by SO quickly! In order to move back, we have to start thinking through things now.
FIRST AND FOREMOST: WHERE DO WE WANT TO LIVE? We are truly at a crossroads. We will have a newborn baby girl and a big, white, blank open canvas.... The world at our fingertips. Exciting and TERRIFYING at the same time.
Do we continue our stay in Europe as I continue to learn the language and culture Logan grew up in? Can we really walk away from easy access to all of these unexplored countries right at our fingertips? Beach vacation to Spain or Greece? Completely feasible... not so much if we were flying in from Texas.
OR do we go back to the comfort zone of Texas where all of my family, friends, and any sort of career connections I have reside? But that heat.... oh the heat...
Do we branch out and try something BRAND NEW? We have done the Dallas thing with my family and the France thing with his family. Maybe we try something fresh, exciting, and new together? Start a life, just the 3 of us. The Carolinas? What about Logan's beloved New England...but I love the West Coast weather...
How do we find a middle ground? We are starting from what feels like ground zero. What do you want to be when you grow up? Where do you want to live? These elementary school "MASH" games are now our reality. My priority is first and foremost my family of 3, but outside of that I do desire for my children to have a close relationship with their grandparents and in our bi-continental situation that is going to take effort. I know that this decision is not the "end all, be all" of where we will grow old, but I do like the idea of planting roots and growing up in a familiar neighborhood and having lifelong friendships. I also know that the older we get, the harder it is to uproot your family.
So we are back to the beginning.... What are we going to do? I don't have the answers... we are currently bathing this decision in prayer and hopefully we will get some clear direction in the months to come. I just hope I have the courage and faith to take a leap of faith in whichever direction He leads us.
All images via